Saturday, May 19, 2012

I Didn't Think I Cared

The thought paying a couple hundred dollars just to RENT a stupid oversized robe with a funny hat was impractical and unnecessary. However, I was unexpectedly overcome with a bit of sadness as I scrolled through my Facebook newsfeed seeing everyone's graduation photos and status updates. 


I didn't think I cared about dressing up in a blue and yellow robe, walking across a stage to get a piece of paper, and listening to some random speaker telling me how we're going to shape the future. But I guess I do. I really wish I was back in Rochester today with the rest of my lab mates that I started the 5+ year journey with. 


A part of me didn't think I deserved to celebrate graduating again. My parents had thrown me a really nice graduation party in December, I had already received gifts, hugs, and a plethora of congratulations. It also just didn't make sense for me to fly out East when I'm already going to be there at the end of June. But, being pragmatic is one thing and how you feel is another.


I don't know when I will learn that it's not always about being practical. Emotions aren't practical. 


Anyway, enough whining from me. Today is about celebrating. 


Being a part of this graduate class I know what an achievement today symbolized for many of us. It has been a lot of hard work, learning, lessons, stress, and staring at spectra or numbers that just don't make any sense. Whether it was perseverance, stubbornness, or a genuine interest in what we were doing we made it to the light at the end of the tunnel.


My sincerest congratulations to all my fellow lab mates that I now call my friends and everyone else celebrating graduation at any level :)


We did it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got questions, you've got answers.